Thank you to Madeleine, who came along to our open weekend and shared with us this exquisite recipe for vegetarian walnut ‘sausage’ rolls. These were a hit with our whole family – kids and meat-lovers included! They are super-simple to make, hold together really well and are surprisingly filling. And incredibly yummy! Well worth a try.
1 brown onion (approx. 180g)
1 tbsp dried oregano
90g rolled oats
150g feta cheese, cut into pieces
1tbsp tamari or soy sauce
3 sheets ready-made puff pastry, slightly thawed
plain flour, for dusting
milk, for brushing
sesame or poppy seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Chop onion and place in a food processor.
- Add dried oregano, walnuts and rolled oats and whiz then scrape down the sides.
- Add eggs, feta cheese, tamari or soy sauce and breadcrumbs and combine.
- Cut puff pastry sheets into halves and transfer to silicone bread mat or floured work surface.
- Place one sixth of the mixture onto the long edge of 1 pastry sheet half and roll. Cut into four equal portions and place onto prepared baking tray. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional). Repeat process with remaining mix and pastry sheet halves until all used.
- Bake for 20 minutes (200°C) until crisp and golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving warm.