Pickled walnuts lend their spiced vinegary flavour to balance sweet roast root vegetables and salty feta cheese in this hearty salad.
2 beetroot (about 300g)
1 small sweet potato (about 300g)
100g warrigal greens (or baby spinach)
100g feta (any type)
4 pickled walnuts, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon pickled walnut liquid from the jar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Remove any beetroot tops and wrap the beets in foil. Place in the oven on a tray and roast for about an hour.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into chunks (about 3cm). Toss in olive oil on an oven tray and roast for about 30 minutes.
- Test the beets with a skewer to make sure they’re cooked all the way through. Put aside to cool slightly.
- Unwrap the warm beets and, wearing rubber gloves or similar, rub the skin gently off the the beets. If they’re cooked well, it should come off quite easily. Chop the beets into 3cm chunks.
- Wash the warrigal greens and pop them in a pan over low-medium heat until wilted. If using baby spinach instead, this step is optional.
- Toss the beetroot and sweet potato chunks with the warrigal greens. Crumble feta over and arrange pickled walnut slices on top.
- To make the dressing, put the olive oil and pickled walnut liquid into a small jar and shake. Pour over the salad just before serving.